I just noticed that Georgia will be switching to mandatory 10-digital dialing on April 3rd.
They’re not the first — or the last — to do so. But it got me thinking:
A) Just how many more NUMBERS must we humans be required to remember in order to perform the multitude of tasks that we enjoy these days?
B) Of all that I believe in, stand for, and ultimately do in life… what it all comes down to is this: I am just a number.
Have you ever stopped to think just how many different combinations of numbers and letters you have managed to keep locked up in your brain?
From logging onto computers & logging into software programs… to accessing your banking information & ATM machiness… to simple telephone, voicemail — what it all comes down to is numbers!
Not to mention all the personal phone numbers and email addresses we must remember in order to contact our friends & relatives and random places we do business with.
More About 10-Digit Dialing
From the looks of things, the FCC began planning the switch to 10-digit dialing as far back as December, 2000. Supposedly, “to conserve phone numbers and slow the need for new area codes”.
If it’s not already in place where you live, it’s coming, so get ready.
- Reprogram your speed dial/preset telephone numbers, dial-up Internet connections and any call block or call forwarding functions to include the area code.
- Ensure that the telephone numbers in your wireless phone’s address book are 10 digits, including the area code.
- Update your fax machine speed dial numbers to include the area code.
- Check with your home or business security system provider for any programming changes to accommodate 10-digit dialing.
- Reprint your checks, stationary, business cards, business signage or any other printed material if you do not have your area code listed with your telephone number.
All I can say is: Thank goodness for programmable speed-dialing presets in our cellphones. (I can’t tell you the last time I actually had to “recall” someone’s phone number from memory before I dialed it.)
Same is true with computers…
Fortunately, we have things like bookmarks, RSS feed readers, and even password-remembering programs built into our computers and programs these days. Otherwise, I don’t know how we could possibly do it. Who could keep it all straight?
Fun Facts About 10-Digit Dialing & Remembering Numbers
I like to help people find unique ways to do things in order to save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” ideas that most wouldn’t think of. As a lifelong dog owner, I often share my best tips for living with and training dogs. I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I’m truly passionate about. I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).