This page may contain affiliate links. In addition to sharing our personal experiences, we often write about products and services that we use ourselves or that we believe would be a helpful resource for you. To support our work, and remain a free website, we receive a commission from some of the links we share.
The QR code is a Quick Response Code. It’s similar to an old-fashioned barcode or UPC code in that it can store an unlimited amount of info within a symbol — and a quick scan of that symbol reveals a wealth of info that is helpful.
A QR code is better than a barcode or UPC because:
- It can be used by people like you and me (rather than just stores and manufacturers) to hold an unlimited amount of data, photos, and videos;
- It can be regularly updated to reflect timely and new info; and
- It is a quick way to get your contact info (or any other information that you want to share) into someone else’s smartphone or device.
Ways To Use QR Codes For Your Business
It’s amazing how many unique ways that QR codes are being used these days!
First, before we get to all the fun uses for QR codes in everyday life, let’s look at some great examples.
Keep in mind, these are primarily geared toward marketers and small business owners:
- 8 Great Ways To Use QR Codes
- Creative Uses For QR Codes Every Day
- 101 Unusual Uses For QR Codes
- 10 Creative Ways To Use QR Codes For Marketing
- How To Put Your Logo In A QR Code
- 50 Creative Uses For QR Codes In Marketing
- 21 Ways To Use QR Codes To Build Your Business
- How Charities Can Use QR Codes
- 5 Genius Examples Of QR Codes In Marketing
- 3 Best Practices For Generating Reliable QR Codes
How To Use Custom QR Codes For Your Personal Things
Now, my main intention of this post is to share some very simple tips for using QR codes in your everyday life.
Each of the links below shows you how to create your own custom QR code for a very specific purpose.
TIP: While some of the following links describe fun QR-coded stuff that you can buy — if you have your own blog or website (your own little space online), then you don’t necessarily have to buy anything to make the following ideas work for you. Just (1) follow these 4 steps to create custom QR codes using one of the 10 best free online QR code generators. Then, instead of using someone else’s “professional” space online to store and update the information associated with your custom QR codes, (2) store that information at your own personal online space! That said, some companies may actually provide cooler tags, cards, or products than you could create yourself — so at least you’ve got options.
Pet ID Tags
Microchipping is the best way to ensure that your dog is returned if they become separated from you. A close second is to have an ID tag on your dog’s collar at all times.
The best way to maintain your personal info on your dog’s ID tag is to use a creative QR code on the dog tag!
There you can keep helpful info for pet sitters or someone who’s found your dog — such as your vet’s number, additional photos of your dog, your dog’s health record, and more.
It’s a quick and easy way to maintain up-to-date luggage tags, office tags, and other ID tags.
- QR Codes In Tourism And Travel
- DynoTag Smart Luggage Tags
- DynoTag: Web/GPS Enabled Smart Luggage Tags
- QR Code Luggage Tags From Uncommon Goods
You (and your business card) will stand out as being more modern — and less stuffy — than others. And, as everyone knows, first impressions go a long way!
- 30 Creative QR Code Business Cards
- How Business Cards With QR Codes ‘Talk’ To Cell Phones
- How To Create A QR Code Business Card
- Make QR Code Business Cards At Zazzle
House For Sale
Plus, potential buyers can easily return to that information later — in digital form — online via their cellphone.
- Innovative Ways To Use QR Codes To Sell Your Home
- 3 Ways Realtors Use QR Codes
- How QR Codes Can Enhance A Realtor’s Career
- How To Scan QR Codes On Real Estate Signs
If the organization tends to think outside-the-box, then a QR code resume would be ideal. It’s a great way to show your uniqueness!
- Example Of A QR Code Resume (Or Cover Letter)
- How To Use A QR Code On Your Resume
- Adding Creative QR Codes To Your Resume
- 7 Ways To Use QR Codes To Make Your Resume Stand Out
Ready to get started?… Here’s a complete list of QR code generators, to create your own creative QR codes from scratch!
I got my first computer in 1986 and immediately started writing, saving documents, and organizing my entire life on it. Thus began my love affair with gadgets and all things tech. I built my first website in 1998 in old-school HTML code — before websites were "a thing". Blogs weren't invented yet. It was the same year that Google was born. My husband and I created TheFunTimesGuide.com in 2004 — before YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, and Mashable were launched. That was the year Facebook started and 'blog' was the Word of the Year according Merriam-Webster. Ever since then, anytime a new electronic gadget hits the market… I have to have it. (My husband's impulsive nature to try out every new tech gadget invented is even worse than mine!) When I'm not trying out fun new tech gadgets, you'll find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).